Generally speaking, visitors must depart Hong Kong before the expiry of their limit of stay. If there is a special/urgent need to stay longer, visitors may make an extension of stay application within 7 days before their limit of stay expires. Applications will be considered on its own merits.
How is the Visa Extension situation during COVID-19
The chance of getting a second extension now is still favourable due to the current situation. You may include an explanation letter in your application for extension stating your health concerns and travel restrictions etc.
Submission of the Application
Applicants can apply for extension of stay to the Extension Section of the Immigration Department.
- Go to 2nd floor (maybe it was the 3rd). The counter officer will give you a registration form, a number, and a place to go to have a short interview.
- 2 photocopies from the passport: the face side, and the page with the last entry visa (you can get that done there)
- The interview will be on 24th floor. You need to mention a reason why you can’t return to your home country.
- They will then give you a time and place to pick up the new visa – cost is HK$230/person. Might take a day or so.
- Take the slip and pick up your visa and pay the fee.
For further information, please contact us.
You may want to read: WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEPENDENT VISA WHEN YOU ARE GETTING DIVORCED?