Are you entitled for the Right of Abode in Hong Kong?

What is Right of Abode?

Right of Abode in Hong Kong entitles a person to live and work in the territory without any restrictions or conditions of stay. If you have an entrepreneur visa and you resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of at least seven years. And you ordinarily resided in Hong Kong Then you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence, commonly referred to as “Right of Abode” in Hong Kong.

You should provide information and make a declaration that they have taken Hong Kong as their place of permanent residence. And then the Director of Immigration has approved the application for the permanent resident status in Hong Kong.


Verification of Eligibility for a Permanent Identity Card

Before registering to be issued with a permanent identity card, you need to demonstrate that you have the right of abode in Hong Kong. You can start that process by applying for verification of your eligibility for a permanent identity card.


How can I apply for right of abode?

Under the law, a valid permanent identity card is evidence that the person to whom the card relates enjoys the right of abode in Hong Kong.

Before you proceed to register for the issue of a permanent identity card, you need to prove you are eligible for registration under the Registration of Persons Ordinance and Regulations. For this purpose, an administrative arrangement has been made for you to apply for verification of eligibility for a permanent identity card.  

Document for the Application

  • The ROP 145 and ROP 146 application forms.
  • Statement of Travel Records (HKID Form ID697).
  • Proof of 7 years continuous ordinary residence in Hong Kong immediately before the date of application for permanent resident status.
  • Passport showing entry to Hong Kong and the current condition of stay in Hong Kong.
  • A full copy all passports held during the previous 7-year period.
  • Copies of salaries tax returns for the last 7 years in Hong Kong
  • Copies of utilities bills, bank and credit card statements and other papers which attest to a consistent period of residence in Hong Kong for the requisite 7 years.
  • A copy of your Hong Kong Identity Card.

How long does the application take?

Normally it takes about 3 months upon receipt of all necessary documents.

Under what circumstance you will to lose the status of a permanent resident?

If you are absent from Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than 36 months. Then this means you are no longer to have ordinarily resided in Hong Kong.

For further information, please contact us.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *