In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) has working together with the banking sector.Subsequently, HKMA has taken a host of measures to support small-and-medium enterprises (SMEs) and individuals in need. HKMA has in an effort to help Hong Kong’s economy ride through these difficult times.
How does the HKMA help local banks support their customers?
On the whole, the HKMA Released HK$1 trillion of lending capacity
- Lowered the Countercyclical Capital Buffer by 1.5% percentage points
- Cut Regulatory Reserves by half
- Deferred Basel III requirements
Nevertheless, the HKMA also increased banking system liquidity
- Provided U.S. dollars to local banks using repo transactions with the Federal Reserve
- Clarified HKMA’s Liquidity Facilities Framework
- Explained HKMA’s supervisory expectations on liquidity regulatory requirements
- Set up the Banking Sector SME Lending Coordination Mechanism to facilitate banks to support economy
Overall, total loans of the banks increased by more than HK$650 billion in the first quarters this year.
In addition, HKMA also help local Corporate Customers by
The HKMA launched the Pre-approved Principal Payment Holiday Scheme in May and extended the scheme to end-April 2021, with over 100 participating banks. Besides, application period for principal moratorium for the 80% and 90% Guarantee Products of HKMC Insurance Limited (HKMCI) extended to end-Mar 2021. As a result, 49,000 applications for payment holiday and other relief measures granted worth HK$590 billion. The scheme also assisted not limited to as below:
- Repayment period extended for the transportation sector
- Trade financing lines converted into temporary overdraft facilities
- Accounts receivables loans offered to retails sector
As a result, the HKMCI’s Special 100% Loan Guarantee, it has 19,000 applications and total amount loaned HK$31 Billion.
Overall credit line granted by banks to SMEs grew by HK$8 billion in the first 3 quarters this year.
The HKMA received 21,000 applications for relief measure. The total granted amount worth HK$37 billion. The measures including
- Principle repayment holidays for residential mortgages
- Relief loans offered to employees of hard-hit sectors
- Extension of loan tenor for personal lending
- Reduction of charges for credit card lending
For further information, please contact us.
You may want to read: THIRD ROUND OF $24 BILLION ANTI-EPIDEMIC FUND MEASURES