To enhance protection of sensitive personal information, while keeping up the transparency and usefulness of the Register. The Companies Ordinance (Cap. 622) is carrying out in 3 phrases from August 2021 through end of 2023. Only Specified person can access the protected information.
Where are we now?
The Registry of Hong Kong is now preparing for the implementation of Phase 2. Furthermore, the New Inspection Regime on 24th October 2022. Under Phase 2, the Protected Information on the Index of Directors will be replaced by correspondence address and partial IDNs for public inspection. So, the public cannot access the protected information. Only the “Specified Persons” can access via a One-time application or via a special account.
Who are the Specified Persons?
- Certified public accountant (Practising)
- Designated Non-Financial Business and Professions”(DNFBP) including accounting professional
- A certified public accountant or a certified public accountant (practicing), as defined by section 2(1) of the Professional Accountant Ordinance;
- A corporate practice as defined by section 2(1) of the Professional Accountants Ordinance; or
- A firm of certified public accountants (Practising) registered under Part IV of the Professional Accountant Ordinance.
Who needs a special account?
For those specific persons who require routine access to Protected information on the Register for the performance of functions specified in section 12(11) of the Regulation, including Certified Auditors and Company Secretaries.
Who can apply for the special accounts?
- Only a natural person who is a specified person can apply for disclosure of Protected Information through a Special Account.
- If the specified person is not a natural person, such as a corporate practice or a firm of certified public accountants (practicing). They can submit their application for disclosure of Protected Information via the Authorised Representative’s Special Account.
For further information, please contact us.
You may want to read: NEW INSPECTION REGIME FOR THE COMPANIES REGISTER