Nowadays, compulsory quarantine at hotel seems to be a protocol when travelling. However, if you are under certain category and fulfilling certain criteria. Then you may exempt from compulsory hotel quarantine when heading back to Hong Kong.
Who can be exempted?
Under section 4(1) of the Compulsory Quarantine of Persons Arriving at Hong Kong from Foreign Places Regulation (Cap. 599E) (the Regulation), made under the Prevention and Control of Disease Ordinance (Cap. 599), the Chief Secretary for Administration may designate any person or category of persons fulfilling certain criteria for exemption that –
- the person’s or persons’ entry into Hong Kong is necessary for –
- The supply of goods or services required for the normal operation of Hong Kong or the daily needs of the people of Hong Kong;
- Governmental operation;
- The protection of the safety or health of the people of Hong Kong or the handling of the public health emergency within the meaning of section 8(5) of the Ordinance concerning the specified disease;
- Or, because of the exceptional circumstances of the case, otherwise serves the public interest of Hong Kong; or
- the person’s or persons’ travelling is necessary for purposes relating to manufacturing operations, business activities or the provision of professional services in the interest of Hong Kong’s economic development.
Which categories can be exempted?
In accordance with section 4(1) of the Regulation, the Chief Secretary for Administration has exempted the following categories of persons from the compulsory quarantine requirement. For the latest arrangement of respective exemption categories, please approach the supporting policy bureau or departments direct for details.
- Crew members of aircraft who need to commute to and from foreign places for performance of necessary duties.
- Crew members of
- Goods vessels with cargo operation
- Goods vessels without cargo operation which have not called the ports of “Group A specified places” (High Risk) under the Prevention and Control of Disease (Regulation of Cross-Boundary Conveyances and Travellers) Regulation (Cap. 599H) during the 21 days prior to arrival in Hong Kong purely for shipping services (excluding ship repair)
- Government officials carrying out government duties
Last but not the least, the Prevention and Control of Disease Ordinance maybe varied according to the situation. Please check with Centre of Health Protection https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html
For further information, please contact us.
You may read: CROSSING BORDER FROM CHINA DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC