Is Your De-facto spouse eligible for a dependent visa?

familyLet’s say you are in a happy relationship with the love of your life and you have a child together. However you have not yet been officially married.

You then decide to follow an opportunity in Hong Kong and have to move there.

You get a working visa, but what about your de facto family?

You would naturally want them to get dependent visas and stay with you I Hong Kong.  But it may not be that easy.

Unless you have a marriage certificate, your de facto wife will be unable to get a dependent visa. However, she can apply for prolonged visitor visa, which would allow her to stay with you in Hong Kong.

As for your child, you will need a birth certificate, certifying that you are a parent of your child. As long as this is in order, your child will be able to get a dependent visa.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *